Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google Plus RSS

Triple Play: What people traveling overseas need to know

Triple Play is a weekly NJBIZ feature that asks top executives in New Jersey to talk about three things related to their industry.

E. Drew Britcher is a certified civil trial attorney and partner with Britcher, Leone & Roth, a personal injury law firm with offices in Glen Rock and Parsippany.

We asked Drew for three pieces of advice for people traveling overseas:

Know where you will receive medical care should you become ill, and record a health history on your secure smartphone.

Consider carefully with whom you book your travel and where you will stay. If something goes wrong, you want to be able to obtain jurisdiction over those entities in a New Jersey court. Booking your trip through a local travel agent and with international hotel chains that also have a New Jersey location are better options than using the Internet and foreign entities to book your travel plans. For example, Liberty Travel is based in New Jersey, and a Sheraton is better for jurisdiction purposes than some chain that has no hotels in the U.S. or New Jersey.

If you are asked to sign a waiver of your rights, try to negotiate not having to sign it, and if you must, note after your signature a “contract of adhesion,” indicating you tried to negotiate the contract and they refused.

You May Have Missed...

Leave a Comment


Please note: All comments will be reviewed and may take up to 24 hours to appear on the site.

Post Comment
View Comment Policy