NJBIZ is celebrating the 10th anniversary of our Best 50 Women in Business event with a countdown to this year's ceremony, to be held Monday, March 23, at The Palace at Somerset Park.
For each of the next nine business days, we’ll take a look back at a previous class, giving you a sneak peek at their answers to a class-only poll question and a class-only open-ended question based on topics involving women in the workplace.
Today, we’re featuring the Class of 2006.
But before we get to our answers (below) and a listing of the members of the Class of 2006 (even further down), we feel the need to remind you to get your tickets first.
This event always has capacity crowds and we’re expecting another sellout. If you haven’t made a reservation, click here now.
And if you want to start tweeting about the event today, please use #Best50WomenNJ on your tweets.
And now, the answers from the Class of 2006:
Poll Question: Let's take the equal pay question from another angle: Say you were a finalist for a job with a man with equal experience and qualifications. Do you think the man would be offered more money if selected just because he's a man?
Yes: 67 percent
No: 33 percent
Open-ended question: Tell us about a time when a man was being sexist, insulting or condescending — and had no idea he was?
- Sally Malanga, founder, Ecco Bella: A customer I was calling on hugged me and said he wanted me to be his lover — this happened more than once with certain men with whom I had a business relationship. Men don't always have boundaries, nor respect women's boundaries.
- Aldonna R. Ambler, president, The Growth Strategist: There are times during certain board meetings when chairs or treasurers start to explain the financial reports or provide tutorials and are clearly directing their remarks to female board members. The assumption is that I/she/we will not understand math or money.
More answers will appear in our special supplement covering the event.
Want more NJBIZ news? Check out items in Breaking Glass, our Women in Business blog. Interested in everything else NJBIZ has to offer? Click here to get our daily e-mail newsletters and news alerts. Want NJBIZ’s award-winning print coverage and Book of Lists? Click here to subscribe.
And finally, a look back at the Class of 2006: (Note: Titles and companies are as listed in the year the recipient was named to the Best 50 Women in Business.)
- Aldonna R. Ambler, CMC, CSP, President/CEO, AMBLER Growth Strategy Consultants, Inc.
- Christine Baron, President, Philadelphia Tri-State Region, Verizon Wireless
- Diane Bergeron, Vice President of Quality Management, Schering-Plough
- Alissa Blate, Executive Vice President/Director of Consumer Lifestyle Marketing, MWW Group
- Susan Blount, Senior Vice President/General Counsel, Prudential Financial
- Lucia Capozzoli, Principal, Enterprise Risk Services, Deloitte and Touche LP
- Christine Cartwright Baker, Section/Committee Trustee, Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Annette Catino, President/CEO, QualCare, Inc.
- Patricia Costante, Chairman/CEO, MDAdvantage Insurance Company
- Eileen Creeden, Vice President of Customer Care, Verizon Wireless
- Saki Dodelson, CEO,Co-owner, ACHIEVE3000
- Anne Erni, Managing Director/Chief Diversity Officer, Lehman Brothers
- Judith Flynn, President & CEO, KEVCO Electric Inc.
- Christiana Foglio Palmer, President and CEO, Community Investment Strategies, Inc.
- Lisa Forrester, CEO/Executive Director/Owner, The Harmony Schools, Inc.
- Diane Frenier, Partner, Reed Smith LLP
- Lucia DiNapoli Gibbons, Regional President-Northern NJ, Wachovia Corporation
- Pat Hoferkamp, President and COO, Burgdorff, Realtors ERA
- Meredith Kaplan Stoma, Partner, Morgan, Melhuish, Monaghan, Arvidson, Abrutyn & Lisowski
- Katherine Kish, President/CEO, Market Entry, Inc.
- Melissa Klipp, Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Sue Kozel, Owner, SK Visions
- Roopa Makhija, President, Global eProcure
- Sally Malanga, President/Owner, EB Botanicals
- Susan Marc Lawley, Principle and Founder, On Pointe Consulting
- Ramelle Massey, Owner/President, Massey Insurance Agency
- Maureen McDermott, President, McDermott Advisors
- Stacey Meisel, Member and Co-founder, Becker Meisel LLC
- Cathryn Mitchell, Founder/Co-owner, MillerMitchell PC
- Ann Mulcahy Limberg, President, Bank of America
- Nancy M. Myers, Owner & President, QWIC, Inc.
- Linda Niro, Senior Vice President/CFO, The Provident Bank/Provident Financial Services
- Marlene J. Pagley-Waldock, Founder/President, 1st Impressions Communications
- Jeanne Perantoni, Principal/Vice President, SSP Architectural Group, Inc.
- Ranjini Poddar, President,Co-owner, Artech Information Systems L.L.C.
- Sherise Ritter, Principal, The Mercadien Group
- Linda Rosanio, Founder/CEO, The Star Group
- Christine Simpson, Owner, Lanmark Group
- Suzanne Skipper, Principal, Deloitte
- Gail Stone, Partner, Senior Vice President, Kulture Marketing
- Colleen Suozzo, General Manager, Cranbury Golf Club
- Susanne Svizeny, Regional President-Southern NJ, Wachovia Corporation
- Marcy Syms, CEO, SYMS Corp
- Liz Thomas, CEO, Thomas/Boyd Communications
- Diane Turton, President and Broker/Owner, Diane Turton, Realtors
- Lois Van Deusen, Managing Partner, McCarter & English, LLP
- Liza M. Walsh, Connell Foley LLP
- Gretchen Wilcox, Founder, G.S. Wilcox & Co.
- Linda Wong, Co-Owner, Wong Fleming, P.C.
- Stephanie Zarus, Vice President/Chief Performance Officer, excelleRx