“Storm czar” Marc Ferzan will resign from his position as the head of the Governor’s Office of Recovery and Rebuilding and Deputy Executive Director Terry Brody is set to replace him, Gov. Chris Christie announced Tuesday.
Ferzan has led the office since it was created in December 2012 to oversee Hurricane Sandy recovery efforts. He is leaving to “support a career opportunity for his wife” and will teach at the Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy at the University of Virginia, according to a release.
Brody, who has also been with the office since its inception, has previously served as chief of staff to the state Attorney General and has spent time in the private-sector, working for the firms of Greenberg Traurig LLP and Gibbons P.C.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to the free NJBIZ email newsletter
The office under Ferzan’s leadership worked to launch more than 50 state programs and initiatives geared toward helping Sandy victims, according to the administration. Still, his tenure was also met with criticism regarding the sluggish pace of federal aid distribution and the usage of funds in areas that were mildly impacted by the storm.
Christie said that in the aftermath of Sandy, the office worked to deliver assistance to those in need but also rose to the “unprecedented challenge” of working with long-term interests of resilience in mind.
“Marc Ferzan led our efforts to meet that challenge and did so with great professionalism, effectiveness and with the needs of Sandy survivors always in the front of his mind,” Christie said. “The people of New Jersey are better off for Marc’s leadership and I thank him for his commitment and his service. Likewise, I am proud to name Terry Brody, an indispensible part of our recovery and rebuilding team, as Marc’s successor and thank him for continuing to serve the people of our state as we continue to deliver on our recovery mission.”
ALSO ON NJBIZ:
Please note: All comments will be reviewed and may take up to 24 hours to appear on the site.View Comment Policy