follow us:Google+ FacebookLinkedInTwitterRSS Feeds

advertisement
Industry Insights

AARP: Send PSE&G request back to the drawing board

Back to Top Comments Print

Recent Blog Posts

Latest News

advertisement

PSE&G's unprecedented request to hike utility rates by almost $4 billion dollars won't necessarily produce more reliable service during major storms for PSE&G customers.

Only 39 percent might see less frequent outages or outages of a shorter duration, leaving 61% still in the dark during a storm like Sandy, and of those who will, perhaps by only a couple of hours. But 100 percent will pay higher utility bills for years to come.

AARP doesn't oppose reinforcing our utility infrastructure. We support a system that is affordable, safe, and reliable. But because there is little to no evidence that PSE&G's latest proposal can pass a common sense cost-benefit test, AARP urges regulators to send PSE&G back to the drawing board.

AARP is working to ensure that ratepayers only pay for what's needed and will work, and not a dime more. AARP devotes significant energy to important pocketbook issues. AARP fought for and won funding for the Senior Freeze property tax rebate program and will continue to push for full Homestead Benefit restoration.

NJ's fiscal cocktail of the nation's highest property taxes with the 7th-highest electric rates forces many homeowners, particularly seniors living on fixed- and moderate-incomes, to make tough decisions between healthcare, food, or heat. Decisions no one in the Garden State should have to make.

Signed,

Evelyn Liebman
Associate State Director for Advocacy
AARP New Jersey
Princeton, NJ

Share This Story On:
advertisement

Comments


Be the first to comment.



Please note: All comments will be reviewed and may take up to 24 hours to appear on the site.

Post Comment
     View Comment Policy

Advanced search
Sponsored by
advertisement
  
  
advertisement
  
  
advertisement
Back to Top