As he accepted an award Thursday night on behalf of his company, Prism Capital Partners, Edwin H. Cohen reminded his peers why they might have chosen to be in the real estate business.
"Our state provides an incredible canvas, from infrastructure to demographics, to great investment opportunities for smaller privately held firms," he said. "And in terms of camaraderie, our state's commercial real estate industry is one of the nation's best."
Cohen's point was evidenced by the 700 executives and professionals that turned out for NAIOP New Jersey's Commercial Real Estate Awards Gala, which honored several real estate companies and high-profile deals completed over the past year. The event, at the Palace at Somerset Park, in the Somerset section of Franklin, was the 26th for the state chapter of the commercial development group.
Among the awards NAIOP presented this year:
– Office and mixed-use deal of the year: Bayer HealthCare's purchase of the former Alcatel-Lucent campus in Hanover's Whippany section, following a redevelopment by Vision Equities.
– Industrial deal of the year: Prologis' lease of its new Pulaski Distribution Center, in Jersey City, to Ahold USA and Imperial Bag & Paper Co.
– Creative deal of the year: Renovation of buildings in Parsippany by Prism Capital Partners, leading to a headquarters lease for Biomet Spine & Bone Healing Technologies and Ferring Pharmaceuticals.
– Lifetime achievement: Steven J. Pozycki, founder, chairman and CEO of SJP Properties.
– Impact awards: Kushner Real Estate Group and Prism.
– Industry service award: HFF.
Of the lifetime achievement award, Michael McGuiness, CEO of NAIOP New Jersey, said, "I don't think anyone has had more of an impact on the landscape in New Jersey of late than Steve Pozycki. He's the only one that's doing these major, vertical development (projects) for office and commercial real estate."
When accepting the award, Pozycki credited the company's partnerships in the business, brokerage, construction, consulting and financial communities, but also his longtime staff at the Parsippany-based firm.
"The greatest pleasure and the greatest accomplishment I think I have in my career is the team that comprises some of the most motivated, creative and dedicated people I've ever met in my life," he said. "And that's the organization that exists at SJP Properties."